Tuesday 4 October 2011

October Progress Update 2...already!!!

Oh yes. Another unit done!

Admittedly this unit is only four Hirdmen, but that's a third of the force done in four days (and incidentally, the same amount of models as all of last month!). I'm now making good progress towards my target and I'm relatively happy with them.

This unit will be one of three Hirdmen units and rather than engage in base markers or 'themed' shield to distinguish them from my other units, this unit will be identified by the fact that all the members have masked helmets. The masks did make them quicker to paint as I didn't have to paint the eyes, mess them up, paint the eyes out, re-ink, then paint the eyes again as I usually do. All my Hirdmen wearing pretty much full length mail speeds things up a bit too.


As well as painting the Hirdmen, I also re-did the shields on several of the Bondi. There was something not quite right about them (I think it was my colour choices) so they needed changing. I had a bit of a brainwave and went to the Little Big Men website, and rather than buy some transfers, I've simply looked for appropriate colour schemes from their range and painted my shields like that. Admittedly, they don't look as good as transfers, but it does work out cheaper (which is justification in itself) and I'm able to work on improving my freehand painting. I'm still not sure about trying to shade the shields, or leaving the colours flat. I think I'll see how much time I have before the tournament before making that decision.

Next up is my unit of Berserkers! Mainly because they don't have shields.

No comments:

Post a Comment