Saturday 8 April 2023

Bad Moon Rising

 A few more Orks done, bringing a little much-needed leadership to proceedings. In fact, adding the Warboss now gets my force to a playable level, although I've got a little bit to go before getting to 1000 points.


The Warboss is actually a model I've painted before. In the last post I mentioned previously starting an Ork army some years ago. This army was based on the contents of the Assault on Black Reach starter box for 5th edition, which included the same Warboss.

One of my many downsizing exercises saw the army sold as I wasn't playing 40k and I kept only the Blood Angels. The army never got used by me.


Therefore. I'm really pleased to get my hands this model again as I really like it. It was actually already painted really well so I only needed to alter a few colours to make him a Bad Moon and tie him into the rest of my army, so he didn't actually take too much time to do.


However, in a classic eBay 'buyer beware' moment I didn't actually realise that the model was missing part of the power claw until I was actually painting it.

Fortunately, I managed to use one of the claws from 'the kit that keeps on giving' (the Leviathan Dreadnought - I'd already carved up spare parts to provide shoulder pads for some of the Deathskulls) to replace the missing piece and stuffed some wire into the holes to cover up gaps.

It works, even though the blade is notably thinner - it's Orks, things not matching is their style.


The Nob is also one from the Assault on Black Reach set and was similarly mainly painted and so just needed a little touching up.

Again, I've made him a Bad Moon as I'm going to have my burgeoning Nobs mob be from the same clan as the Warboss, as that makes sense to me. It also means that until I paint the rest, he can lead the Bad Moon boys mob.


I did a bit more digging in my bitz box to put together a few more Gnoblars as Gretchin, and one of them got given another Imperial Militia blunderbuss tucked behind its shield.

The other one doesn't have a firearm, and I now have a few like this. I have several options for these, including using them as assistants for characters, hunting out some weapons, or, and currently this is favourite, using them as crew for some scratch-built artillery.

I'll have to see what I can come up with.


The battle standard bearer it kitbashed to with an inch of his life. It consists of a Gnoblar base model, a Bretonnian banner pole, a Zombie banner and what I assume is a Goblin icon, although I've no idea where it came from. I will have to track down a pistol of some sort at some point.

In case you were wondering, I have weighted the base quite significantly.

I'm really pleased with the freehand symbol on the banner. I used an image I found online as a reference, but it came out much better than I was expecting. I suspect that part of it was the fact that I did use a reference image and the fact that it's quite large.

Anyway, five more Orks done, although three of them are bitz box and don't affect the Lead Mountain. Only a few more to do now.

Acquired: 47
Painted: 127
Lead Mountain: 513

2 comments: