Sunday 17 March 2024

A Cluster of Radiants: A Tale of 4 Armies

I've had a little bit of a hiatus on the process getting my Wood Elf army rebased and polished up for use in Warhammer: The Old World.

Partly this has been down to getting distracted by Five Leagues From The Borderlands, partly down to life always being busy in March and partly down to the weather being terrible and not being able to take photos.

However, some limited progress has been made. Namely, I've got my characters done.

I have no idea if my current crop of characters will cut the mustard in The Old World, however, I did tend to run rather light on them in 6th/7th edition, and I suspect that might still be the case now. Elves are expensive, and so too much investment in characters leaves you somewhat short of Toughness 3 bodies in your army.

With all three, I've focused on brightening them up, treating the initial paint job as a base coat and highlighting up. The spires moulded on two of them have become bright blue rather than dirty green, and I've brought more gold into all three.

Obviously, they've also all been rebased.

The Glade Lord is, in my opinion, the best model in the old range, a really ferocious and heroic looking model. Yes, he's on a tactical tree-stump but that makes sense for Wood Elves.

Back in the old days I would run him on his own as an Alter Kindred, with the Helm of the Hunt, the Amber Pendant and (sometimes, the Hail of Doom Arrow). After firing off his own volley on the first turn he would run about (with M9) slaughtering whatever he came in contact with and breaking units by himself.

Sadly, this role doesn't seem possible in the new rules and there isn't really a unit I own he can join where a great weapon would be a good idea. He might not see action for a while.


My Spellweaver began life as a Waywatcher character that I picked up cheap as he was missing an arm. I improvised a staff from a banner pole and a Dryad's head and he took over as my chief magical support, moving forests about and generally being annoying.

From what I've seen, magic is going to be incredibly important in The Old World and so I expect to get a lot of use out of him. I'm not sure what spells he'll be casting yet, but he'll be invaluable in terms of magic defence.


Finally, the army battle standard bearer (BSB) began life as a High Elf Shadow Warrior and simply got an army swap. Again, I think I picked him up second hand.

BSBs can be invaluable in bolstering the morale of the main line, and even though I never expect my Glade Guard to do much in combat, being able to hold for a turn longer than expected can be crucial.

This character is the most likely to be given a magic bow, allowing him to add to the volleys of the Glade Guard he supports.

And that's it for now. These three were painted last week and I've been waiting for a chance to photograph them. I have more in the pipeline that I finished today, so depending on the weather and the time I get home, you might see them tomorrow.

Acquired: 10
Painted: 204
Lead Mountain: 849

2 comments:

  1. lovely colours on the characters, really fit in well with the Autumnal theme. but unique against the standard troops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That was the original aim. Have them fit in but be clearly identifiable.

      Delete