Saturday 28 October 2023

Zomtober: Leading From The Back

As my final Zomtober post of this year I present my final group of Walking Dead: All Out War miniatures.

who should be somewhat more recognisable than much of my recent work as most of them high profile leaders in the comics and the TV series...and one of them is a tiger.

The also represent the last of my backlog for the game, meaning that I've met my main target for the month and cleared a good chunk of miniatures, meaning that getting back into Zomtober has been a roaring success.


First up, and perhaps most familiar is Negan, the big bad of The Walking Dead, leader of the Saviours and played with scenery-chewing gusto by Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

As this model is based on the comic version of the character, it's lacking the more familiar moustache and red scarf, but is still weidling the viscous 'Lucille', Negan's barbed-wire wrapped baseball bat.

Interestingly, Negan is to some extent the reason why I gave up on both the TV show and the comics as he represents the point when it stops really being about surviving the zombie apocalypse and becomes about people being vile to one another.

Your mileage may vary but the infamous scene where Negan is introduced was the moment the story lost me. I struggled through one more season of Negan being an indestructible end of level boss.

It's a personal taste thing, but I'm just not keen on cruelty as entertainment.


Next up is the arguably equally famous Michonne, Wandering ronin of the apocalypse and head of the Dora Milaje in Wakanda.

This model is not actually from Mantic Games but is actually a metal sculpt from Hasslefree Miniatures. This is because I got a free game card with Tabletop Gaming Magazine and buying Michonne separately worked out cheaper.


Abraham is the larger than life leader of a small group on a misguided mission that join Rick's group between the prison and Atlanta. In the comics he takes on Tyreese's role as Rick's right-hand man and the group's muscle.

In the TV show he was one of the victims of the introduction of Negan, even though that isn't his fate in the comics, doubling the horror of that scene.

Abraham and Began were available through Mantic Points and so I used bits of card cut off other boxes to send off for them for only the price of postage. I really like the Mantic Points system, it reminds me of how I got the Star Wars figures for Dengar and Nien Nunb when I was a kid.


This is the version of Maggie, eventual leader of the Hilltop Colony, at the prison after she's cut her hair (due to cleanliness) and used prison garb to make clothing.

She's actually the only character I have from the prison releases of the game and so she's less likely to get used than most of the figures unless I start hunting down OOP miniatures for the rest of the game.

I think I have her because she was bought as a gift 


Finally we have Ezekiel, leader of the Kingdom, and his tiger Shiva.

I think Ezekiel might have been part of the same release as Maggie. I'm not sure why he was released so early in the wave schedule well before the character appeared in the narrative, but I suspect it was due to the character turning up on the TV show around that time.

Ezekiel was probably one of my favourite miniatures to paint in the range as it's a very clean and simple sculpt with good definition. I enjoyed adding the stars to his waistcoat.

Shiva was a bit more tricky. Tiger stripes are hard at the best of times but most of this model is smooth with no fur texture to work with. However, one of the benefits of tiger stripes is that they are quite good at camouflaging things (I shouldn't really be surprised at that) and so ultimately it's worked out fine.

So that's Zomtober and another project done. I'm really pleased that I was promoted to rejoin the annual event as it has really given me motivation to get some other projects wrapped up.

Acquired: 90
Painted: 254
Lead Mountain: 437

5 comments:

  1. A fine group of figures and how you painted those stars is beyond me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The stars aren't stars, they're just a small x which work fine for my old eyes from arm's length.

      Delete
  2. Great to see your output this Zomtober Kieron. I have a lot of the Walking Dead figures, but they are all in the plastic piles as I focus on Zombicide ones. They are excellent sculpts for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The that Ng I really like about them is that they're based on comic characters which means they don't have lots of unnecessary detail.

      Delete
  3. Thanks, I've really enjoyed painting this bunch, mainly because I had a clear vision of what each should look like.

    ReplyDelete