Tuesday 30 May 2017

Mysteries & Monsters

I've had another busy month, so I'm just getting back to painting and blogging. I needed something fun to ease me in and I had nothing more fun sitting around than my Scooby Doo cast for 7TV that I picked up from Hasslefree Miniatures at Salute this year.


I've discovered that cartoon characters really suit my painting 'style' as I tend to prefer bright block colours. The Scooby Gang have these in abundance, and I really enjoyed doing them. I even...gasp...mixed the lilac trim on Daphne's dress! These were some of the quickest and most fun models I've painted in a long time. The models are simple and well sculpted, and I'd highly recommend them.

I now just need a Mystery Machine.

I also finished off the Death Worm for my Mad Science cast that I will be taking to the Wargames Illustrated 7TV day in July.


The Death Worm is actually a Purple Worm from the Reaper Bones line, and it's chunky thing - the base it's on is 50mm diameter. The paint job is really simple and done to match the spawn in the rest of the cast, which also makes it usable as a Kraathatrogon - a giant mutagen producing alien space worm from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon.

A fun extra, I discovered that there have been giant worms in Scooby Doo too, which gives me a chance to use the two together.


Now I really need that Mystery Machine...

14 comments:

  1. Great stuff Kieron!
    I've seen a couple of different options for the Mystery Machine, including diecast versions - personally I think the Armorcast Clue Contraption is the best http://www.armorcast.com/clue-contraption-hippie-van?search=van
    And then Company B make decals for it http://www.companyb.biz/
    It's listed under the Pop Culture tab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I had a look at that one and it's definitely the best, the only issue is the cost of getting it in the UK. I was also looking at the Hot Wheels Elite one, but it looks like I'd have to spend some time putting windows in to cover up Shaggy and Scoob who are driving.

      Delete
  2. I agree your painting style complements the miniatures well. They look most excellent.
    And hopefully it wouldn't be too long before you can get your hands on the Mystery Machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's something that became apparent doing the BMG and Marvel stuff. I do much better on characters with the traditional costumes rather than more modernised movie/game versions.

      Delete
  3. They look absolutely wonderful and seriously good fun. I have these based up and will hopefully get to them before too long, although I did enjoy putting together a Victorian Conundrum Carriage a while back. ;)

    http://28mmvictorianwarfare.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/the-conundrum-carriage.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic!

      The miniatures themselves will take you no time at all. But could you leave it a few weeks so mine aren't looked at in comparison? :)

      Delete
    2. That's very kind of you Kieron, but when I do get around to painting them, I shall definitely be coming back here for inspiration.

      Delete
  4. Nice looking gang, good luck with the mini van.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'll hopefully pick one up soon.

      Delete
  5. I love the Scooby gang, I have the post apocalypse gang version which are awesome. Your painting of them is really good and as you say the block colours work really well. I want a mystery machine too, so will be looking to see how you get on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'll need to keep an eye out for one.

      Delete
  6. Great stuff- love the spectacles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but how did you know I was wearing them?

      Oh...I see... :)

      Delete
  7. The gang looks fantastic. :) And did you paint the Mystery van? If not you know you have to right? ;)

    ReplyDelete