Sunday 20 May 2018

The Odd Couple



Two more Descent characters completed. This time it’s Tomble Burrowell the Halfling (possibly Gnome) Thief, and Syndrael the Elven Knight.



Tomble was a fun little model to paint. Most of the colours I used on him are sort of the same browny/red palette, which meant that all I needed to do was basecoat, wash and pick out details. Fortunately, he’s also well defined enough that his face has plenty of character too.



However, Syndrael is probably my least favourite Descent model so far. The gold armour has turned out okay (all gold never works out that well), but there are sculpting issues that let the model down. The sword is a bit of a stubby mess, the cloak is flat and ugly, and the facial features are too shallow for me to be able to pick out details. Also, there are several ugly mould lines that, despite my attempts to tidy them, still look a bit of a mess.

However, she’s okay and hasn’t turned out as a mess. I’m sorry of regretting using blue for her robes too, as the card art is bluey-green and this colour is probably too similar to two of the other characters.

Still, lessons learned...

7 comments:

  1. Cracking stuff again Kieron. :)

    I like the thief most of all, but both nicely done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I’m really happy with Tomble. Sadly, nobody is using him in the campaign.

      Delete
  2. I don't know why you're so hard on yourself, these look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my standards have got higher over the past couple of years. Miniature quality and detail affects the outcome a lot for me and I struggle to get my painting to cover for shallow detail to the extent I’d like. I think I’m basically frustrated with some of the miniatures. Thank you for the kind words though.

      Delete
  3. I think they both look quite all right.
    They may be terrible sculpts, many boardgame miniatures seem to be, it's nothing that a bit of paint can't conceal. I think you did a great job painting these mediocre models.

    ReplyDelete