Sunday 3 May 2020

Workhorses of Rohan

After saying I wasn't going to do any more batch painting of Lord of the Rings, I've gone and batch painted 16 Warriors of Rohan.


I felt the need to do this because, despite all the fuss and glamour of the Riders, the majority of scenarios in War in Rohan feature footsloogers. Even those with Riders will need Warriors as dismounts.


I've done 16 to bring my total up to the 24 needed for the first scenario. This meant painting four more archers. Unfortunately, these are exactly the same as the four I've already done as there's not much you can do to individualise them.


This is not the case with the seven spearmen I needed as I've been able to swap weapons around to ensure no two of them are exactly the same. This is added to by mixing the shields up between those models that are similar.


With the five armed with hand weapons I raided a couple of unused Riders, and this has led me to having a slightly higher number of axes in the force. Given that the Warriors are only Strength 3, a bit more 'piercing strike' might help against tougher targets.

Normally, painting 16 models would be a source of celebration for my painting tally. However, I bought these as part of a lot of 20 off ebay (the others will be done primarily as dismounts). In addition, I've also bought 24 Uruk-Hai Scouts and 5 Warg Riders with birthday money...and there's more on the way.

I looks like batch painting is back in my life if I'm going to keep my head above water.

Acquired: 170
Painted: 148

8 comments:

  1. Very nice work. Your Rohan force must he a good size now. The bonus with these they will work well in 7TV Fantasy when that comes out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is that with the need for dismounts, you have to make more that you can feasibly use at once.

      Delete
  2. These look great, nice and crisp - bring on the rest, you are clearly on top form .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I only have two more Rohirrim to do for the first scenario - unfortunately I have 18 Uruk-Hai and 13 Wildmen of Dunland to do for the other side.

      Delete
  3. Cracking looking Rohirrim mate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic additions to Rohan for sure. Also I just love this color scheme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I. There's something about the shield that makes them pop.

      Delete