Saturday 18 January 2020

To Me My Ex-Men!

They're mutants. They're super. They're in a world that hates and fears them.

Enter the Super Mutants!


I've now finished all the models I need to play through the first four tutorial scenarios for Fallout: Wasteland Warfare. Let the games begin.


I made a decision to keep things simple with them after much musing and research about painting rust effects. I figured that I didn't want to experiment with a technique I was unsure of on models that I was uncertain I'd be able to strip effectively if it went wrong (due to the PVC).


Therefore, I stuck with simply adding a wash of Agrax Earthshade on top of the Nuln Oil wash I usually use to give the metal a grubby look. I may give rust a go on some other models first and come back to add some later.


The Brute was probably the most straightforward of the bunch to do as there's a lot of skin on show and not much in the way of fiddly details.


I went with a dark green drybrushed with a paler green, wash with Biel-tan Green, and then washed with Agrax Earthshade. I then picked out some facial features and the fingers with a paler green to highlight.


The 'Aviator' is probably my favourite of the bunch. Mainly this is because there's quite a few characterful details about the model, like the flying helmet, the skulls and the 'piratey' way he's holding his guns.


With the bases I've stick with the same greys and pale browns as I've used before to allow models to mix and match between factions and remain consistent. Apparently, mixing and matching is perfectly plausible in narrative games.


You may have noticed that I have two versions of the same model, and the box only comes with three Super Mutants. This is due to the fact that when I opened the box I found that the Super Mutant with the rifle had a somewhat melted face.


However, fair play to Modiphius, a couple of emails and a photo later, they had sent me a replacement free of charge.

It was at this point that I discovered that Super Mutants have the same sized heads as Space Marines...


Never one to look a money saving venture in the mouth, I performed a head swap and switched the model around on it's base for variety in order to add a fourth member to the band.

From what I've read, Super Mutants aren't actually likely to have cybernetics (although one in the first game had a bionic eye) and don't really need gas masks. However, I've also learned that pretty much anything in Fallout can be explained away, for example he might have been subject to fiendish experiments, or stolen the mask from the Brotherhood of Steel.

Anyway, I like it.

In terms of progress, I've taken a hit this week as I picked up the first issue of GW's new partworks magazine, Mortal Realms, in order to grab £35 worth (or, more accurately, models they charge £35 for) for £2.99. However, I'm still in the black...for now...

Acquired: 17
Painted: 23

2 comments: