Friday 10 March 2023

Opposites Attract

Did I mention I was running out of 40k things to paint?

Well these aren't even mine...technically.

Over the years I have made a number of overture towards Mrs Cheaphammer to try to engage her in this hobby of mine. She has played the occasional game or two but ultimately wargaming just doesn't really float her boat.

The most recent of my failed initiatives was Christmas 2021 when I bought her Getting Started With Warhammer 40,000 as a joke present. Needless to say, she didn't get started with 40k, but the booklet came with two miniatures that she'd built and I'd undercoated for her which I asked recently if I could paint, seeing as she clearly didn't want to.

She agreed, and I asked what colour she'd like the Primaris Marine to be...

It's not like she even particularly likes pink. I suspect the decision was more a comment about how keen she is on the grim darkness of the 41st millennium.

Anyway, I had my mission parameters and I set about accomplishing the task with gusto. A base coat of Emperor's Children was hit with a wash of Baal Red (I still have some left) and dry brushed back up. Most of the rest of the details were done with various contrast painst over Grey Seer, with the shoulder pads being done with Caledor Sky after the Talassar Blue contrast I'd used on the chest plate ending up patchy on a flat surface.

I've not done any transfers as I want to discuss this with Mrs Cheaphammer, as this model is ultimately for her. I'm not planning an army of pink marines...although it is rather striking.

This is actually the first Primaris Marine I've painted and the scale shift (along with the open pose) does make painting it feel easier than the firstborn I've been doing recently.

When it came to the Necron, Mrs Cheaphammer couldn;t care less what I did with it. As I've mentioned, grim darkness is not her thing, so reanimated metallic corpses was never going to work, however, throw in the fact that she has severe arachnophobia and the multi-legged scarab theme was not met with much enthusiasm, as you can probably imagine. 

I used the same approach to painting as the robot spiders (which are officially the least popular miniatures in the house...at leas until I get round to Shelob for LotR) from the last post and it worked well. Whether I could stomach painting an army all exactly the same is a question I need to ponder. However, it was simple to do.


This is probably the first time I've painted miniatures 'just because', with no real intent to use either for anything. They just fitted my mood and were simple enough to do, which made it enjoyable.

It's all progress.

Acquired: -7
Painted: 72
Lead Mountain: 502

No comments:

Post a Comment