Wednesday 14 August 2024

"Where the warg howls...

 ...there also the Orc prowls."

That little proverb comes from The Fellowship of the Ring when the Fellowship are making haste to cross the Misty Mountains whilst pursued by the howling of wolves.

It's this pursuit that is one of the factors that drives the company into the Mines of Moria and leads to Gandalf's confrontation with the Balrog.

Anyway, I've painted so Warg Riders.


I've been procrastinating on getting these six models painted for some time, and it's led to a significant hiatus in my Quest of the Ringbearer campaign, as I needed more Warhammer for the next scenario, where I'll be studiously ignoring the riders.

However, I'm fully aware that I will also be needing a crap-ton of Warg Riders when Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas reach Rohan.


I've gone for a very quick and dirty approach to these models for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, I wanted to get them done, secondly I wanted them to match my existing Warg Riders and thirdly they are not especially nice miniatures. They particularly don't hold up well against the original metal sculpts.


I used much the same method as I have previously: paint colours, dowse in Agrax Earthshade. However, I did start the Wargs from a base of Basilicanum Grey contrast paint, which I haven't used before.

I have to say that it's a contrast paint I like, and I can see quite a lot of uses for in the future.

Other than that, there's not much else to say. There has been recent news that the Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game is getting a new edition in the not too distant future (and perhaps a less awkward name).

This might have some tie in to the upcoming War of the Rohirrim animated film, which at least opens up a new direction for the game. Hopefully the rules won't change too much.

This does mean that I might need to scoop up some of the campaign books I've been putting off buying for a long while, specifically The Scouring of the Shire.

I'm not sure I'll invest in a new edition, as I have the rules and miniatures I need and tend to only really play Matt (and occasionally Pete) and the current rules work perfectly fine.

I shall, however, keep an open mind.

Acquired: -70
Painted: 316
Lead Mountain: 667

4 comments:

  1. They are painted and not grey plastic. They will look perfectly acceptable from a playing distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my aim. Viewed at arm's length in a poorly lit room with middle aged eyesight is the standard I'm aiming at.

      Delete
  2. Great work on the Warg Riders, reminds me I've got some to paint at some point ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not a massive pleasure to do, but they are fine. It's worth splashing out on the metal models if you can find them.

      Delete