Very long time readers of this blog will be aware that eleven years ago I first put paint to miniature on some Native Americans to finally begin my long postponed War of 1812 project.
Two years later I started a United States force for use in Sharp Practice, an army that took another six years to complete.
I have finally turned my attention to their opponents. The British-Canadian army.
After completing my US Scouting Force and their somewhat unlikely artillery support, I thought I'd leave things there.
However, not having enough Native Americans to create an opposition has prevented me from ever getting around to playing a game, and so returning to the War of 1812 has sat in the back of my mind until last year.
Whilst attending one of the two Partizan shows I encountered two very persuasive chaps selling second hand miniatures at a very reasonable price to raise money for veterans.
Money exchanged hands and I walked away with an indeterminate number of Perry Miniatures plastic British Napoleonic infantry.
I immediately regretted my decision as although British Napoleonics have very much been near the top of the list of armies I always wanted (thank you Sean Bean), the concept of actually painting them has terrified me.
However, several months later, the muse has finally taken me and I sat down to work out what I could do with the miniatures I had.
A quick scan of the War of 1812 supplement for Sharp Practice told me that by using some of the Native Americans I already had (an an unpainted mounted Officer), I could put together a Militia Force with 33 infantrymen.
A quick examination of the sprues revealed that I had 34 miniatures to play with. What's more, I had though that I was going to have to use the covered Belgic shakos of the Waterloo campaign, but the sprues also held just enough plumed shakos that were more prevalent during the war.
There were also enough arms with more decorative epaulettes to denote the 12 light infantry were required and I was able to rustle up just enough 20mm round bases.
I was on a roll.
Now I just needed to paint them.
I've actually been pleasantly surprised by the painting process. I've been much more methodical that I ever usually am, going back and forth to source material to ensure I got them right.
There's less red to paint than you'd think, but there are a lot of white straps and lace to detail on.
These seven are the first section of Light Infantry (hence the fancy epaulettes and green plumes) along with their corporal, and I've painted them with the blue facings of the 1st Battalion of Select Embodied Militia. Conveniently, these were also the colours of the 1st (Royal Scots) Regiment of Foot, which gives me options to deploy these models as British Regulars as well.
I'm really pleased with this first batch and keen to get on with some more.
Whether this enthusiasm holds remains to be seen.
Acquired: 76
Painted: 139
Lead Mountain: 692
No comments:
Post a Comment