Thursday 4 September 2014

"There's...too...many...of...them!"

Following on from the first two games in the X-Wing campaign that Pete and I played a couple of months ago, we recently found time for scenario three.

Following my failure to prevent the escape of the damaged Rebel blockade runner, I assembled my forces for another strike on the traitorous enemies of the Emporer. 

My mission was to either destroy four satellites or damage part of the blockade runner. My force was as follows:
Marek Steele
4 Academy TIE Fighters
1 TIE Phantom
3 TIE Interceptors


Defending the blockade runner and the satellites were:
1 E-Wing
2 X-Wings
2 A-Wings


The squadrons flew directly towards each other firing wildly to little effect. I'd decide to focus on the satellites and flew straight past the rebel ships, keeping my eyes on the prize, foolishly allowing them to k-turn behind my ships.


On the right I managed to evade the X-Wings and swing round behind the blockade runner before eventually destroying the first satellite.


Meanwhile, on the left, concentrated fire from the A-Wings and E-Wing had quickly dismantled the Interceptors leaving only the Phantom to complete the mission.


The satellites were proving very resilient as the rebels could recharge the shield on the satellites each turn. Splitting fire between the satellites and the enemy ships meant that I was losing the battle.


Even the evasive TIE Phantom eventually succumbed to volume of fire leaving just Maarek and two TIEs to complete the mission.


When Maarek Steele was destroyed by a blast from the blockade runner, it was clear the mission was a failure and the remaining Impetials withdrew.

In short, I was battered!

I made a number of mistakes in this game which contributed to my defeat:
1) I should have aimed at destroying part of the blockade runner as it is a bigger and easier target than the satellites.
2) I should have attacked in two lines to respond to any rebels that got behind me, an error which cost me all three interceptors.
3) I should have engaged the rebel fighters earlier to thin their numbers.

After the opening couple of turns, Peye was able to dictate the game I I was desperately trying to evade his ships. He played well and I flew like...well...me!

Next time Rebel, next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment