Wednesday 16 March 2022

The Mob's Mob

Having completed the Rashaar forces needed for the first few intro scenarios of Carnevale, I've turned my attention to their opponents: the Guild.

Combining some the worst qualities of trade unions and organised crime, the Guild are the closest thing Carnevale has to 'good guys' and features a mixture of tradesmen, prostitutes, thieves and ordinary citizens simply paying their dues.


These four are some of those Citizens. They make up the bulk of the Guild's numbers and aren't particularly proficient at anything. However, the power of collective bargaining does mean that they are better in large numbers.


In terms of painting, I've tried to use a muted palette, reflecting the fact that these citizens can't necessarily afford the finest cloth. This means that should I end up painting some Patricians (the nobility) I can distinguish them by using a contrasting bright palette.


I have, however, made sure that each model has some items of dark red on them. Not only dies this tie them together visually, but it would also make sense that when called on to fight for the Guild, there's something identifying who is on their side.


These four models took more cleaning up than the Rashaar models, which I suspect is due to them having more fiddly features. I've learned that I need to use a very sharp knife if I don't want to butcher the resin.


I'm also aware of how cartoony my painting has become, probably after painting so many superheroes and Masters of the Universe miniatures. I've also opted to not bother with picking out the eyes as more truescale miniatures like these often look better without it.


There's only the Gondolier and a Gondola to paint before I can get on with the first few scenarios, at which point I definitely feel that this alternate version of Venich will begin to come to life.

Acquired: 48
Painted: 55

6 comments:

  1. Lovely work. You almost have me tempted by this game I was browsing the TT site the other day and there are some fab sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! You know you want to. I need someone to actually play against.

      Delete
  2. Nice work! I bought these models a while back and thought they were very good sculpts. I've played a few games of Carnevale and I'd definitely recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. They are very nice and characterful. I've only dipped my toe in so far, but it seems like a solid game.

      Delete
  3. Don't worry about the eyes, the models look sharp. The muted palette and unifying colour across the figures were both excellent choices. More often than not detailing eyes tend to make figures look more cartoon like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found that the more truescale miniatures really benefit with not bothering, whereas bulbous-headed heroic stuff benefits from being a bit comic-like.

      Delete