Saturday 27 August 2022

Big Red One

After a short break to go on holiday it's back to that big red grindstone that is my Blood Angels Horus Heresy army.

And actually thr biggest and reddest bit so far.


This is a Leviathan Siege Dreadnought and is essentially a big stompy robot of doom. In fact, it's one of the biggest models I've ever painted (I think Treebeard and a couple of my Soviet tanks are recognisably larger).

Here's a picture to give a sense of scale.


I really enjoy putting together these larger GW plastic kits as they are so well engineered that it's like doing a 3d jigsaw, although I'm not sure how successful I've been at trying to give him a dynamic pose.

My only gripe with the kit was the lack of any real weapon options. As he's geared for close combat, I've kept him cheap with Flamers as his support weapons which means there will be no reason not to just barrel him forwards.


I'm terms of painting I kept things simple and went back to how I did my original Blood Angels.

I spray undercoated it silver and did a base coat of Mephiston Red on all the armour plate before giving the whole thing a wash of Nuln Oil.


After this I went over the red again but left the shading in the panel lines. This left just details and tidying up to do.

A few transfers and basing and the big fella was done.


In terms of transfers, I made the decision not to bother ordering the new Horus Heresy transfer sheet for three reasons.

Firstly, I have a load of Blood Angels transfers and the differences are purely cosmetic. Secondly, the transfers are sold out all over the place and I'm impatient. Thirdly, the new transfer sheets are REALLY expensive and I could get another unit for the same price.


Having made my judgement call about the transfers, I also got all of my Tactical Marines done at the same time, meaning that barring the chainswords on my second squad, I now have a 1500 point army.


I'm now out of Horus Heresy miniatures to paint and so whilst I wait for more little red men, I'm going to get back to a couple of other projects.

Acquired: 117
Painted: 120

6 comments:

  1. Dear Lord, that's a brute! Really lovely work Kieron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea these dreadnoughts were so big! Great work, he's looking really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It came as a bit of a surprise to me. It makes my old Dreadnought look a bit silly.

      Delete
  3. Great work on the dreadnought. Looks excellent.

    ReplyDelete