Saturday 24 June 2023

The Times They Are A-Changin'

Come gather round people
Wherever you roam
And admit the the armies
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be skint to the bone
If the game to you is worth playin'
And you better start paintin'
Or you'll be playin' alone
40k's edition's a-changin'


Sorry about that. I've really having to stretch my change-related puns for posts about my Tzeentch Daemons and that one got out of hand.

Anyway, in an attempt to resist starting a new army due to all the hype around the release of 10th edition 40k, I've returned to an ongoing project and finally finished my Lord of Change.

I'm not sure it comes across in the pictures, but this is a BIG model. Barring terrain pieces, this is the biggest 'miniature' I've ever painted, towering over other monsters. Only Treebeard and my Leviathan Dreadnought have bodies on a similar scale, but they lack the MASSIVE wings and have much less detail to deal with.

The main body is done with Talassar Blue contrast paint with increasingly heavy white drybrushing towards the edges of the wings. The rest is very much the same as I've approached the rest of the army, lots of Retributor Armour, Skeleton Horde, Tesseract Glow and Emperor's Children. Nothing amazingly clever or time-consuming, there was just a lot to do with each stage.

I actually bought and assembled the beast over a year ago (it was a birthday present) and have been chipping away at it in fits an starts as each section of the model took significantly longer to do than I'm used to and I kept getting a bit over faced. Additionally, as I was dipping more into Horus Heresy and 2nd Edition, I played much less 9th Edition and so the Daemons took a back seat. In fact, I didn't even bother buying the Chaos Daemons Codex when it was released last year.

However, with all the fuss surrounding 10th Edition, I needed something to help me resist buying Leviathan and getting two armies I'll barely use and so being able to return to another army I've barely used seemed like a good plan. I'm still not at 2000 points of Daemons, but the Lord of Change gets me significantly closer.

When it comes to 10th Edition, I'm not sure how much I'll play it, although I do like the accessibility that has been incorporated into the free rules and index cards, which are great for a casual gamer like myself. The new army building rules (or lack of them) also means my whole army can hit the table at the same time with me having to take and in-game hit (losing Command Points) to be able to use the stupidly large number of character models I've done thanks to the old detachment rules.

The only downside is that the more regularly sized units mean that currently there are two of my 8 Screamers that I can't really use. In theory I could use units of four or five, but the new rules make it clear that I've have to pay for six, which is a touch annoying. Therefore, I'm going to have to try to get my hands on a single Screamer from somewhere.


On top of that I'm still about 400 points short of my target, and so I suspect that I need to flesh out the infantry a bit more, which means returning to the tedium that is painting Pink Horrors. I also need to pick up at least one box of Blue Horrors as the can now appear for free when Pink Horrors die, as well as form their own units, which oddly have slightly different rules...not confusing at all.

After that, I'll see what points I have left and do something fun to finish off, I have a real temptation to do something weird with spare bits and hot glue...

In terms of progress, despite it's size, the Lord of Change, as Gimli would point out, still only counts as one. Given that I picked up a few Crooked Dice Miniatures recently as well as receiving a Kickstarter fulfilment from Kitbash Games, means that despite the work that went into it, this post bizarrely represents a lack of progress.

 How very Tzeentch...

Acquired: 75
Painted: 179
Lead Mountain: 496

1 comment: