I enjoy kitbashing, printing and converting, especially when it means I can use something I already own rather than buying something new and shiny.
That's why the blog is called Cheaphammer and why I'm always surprised that I took so long to realised that 40k Orks are my spiritual home.
Recent forays into Gorkamorka moved my brain into an Orky space and so when I completed the somewhat rigidly specific Napoleonic British, it was only natural that the freewheeling spirit of Orks would call to me.
Also, it's Orktober.
However, the only unpainted Orks I owned were a handful of monopose (sort of, they have different weapons) Heroquest Orcs.
Not to be deterred I set about trying to make them look 40k enough by adding pouches and armour plates. I also swapped a morning star for the head of a power axe I had lying around, and I used a single Orks slugga from the bits box, although this did required a bit of arm repositioning.
With me only having a single slugga, guns were a slight issue and I couldn't really just give them all holsters like the one with the axe.
However, I still had half a dozen plastic Goliath arms from the original Necromunda plastics. Although horribly proportioned for the models they were intended for, the hands were suitably sized for Orks.
A few hand swaps later, a few blades added to belts and hands and I had five new/old boyz.
I painted them up as Goffs to help bulk out my existing unit (10 Orks is never enough) and painted them in the same style.
They only bit of this process of note was realising that Goff checks looked weird on a space marine should pad, and so I freehanded an Ork glyph, which I'm quite proud of (again, Orks are quite forgiving in this area).
All in all, I love them. They are a bit goofy and static, but they'll blend into the horde without too much fuss.
Importantly, they cost me nothing and they make this old boy smile.
No comments:
Post a Comment