Regular readers of this blog (both of them) will be aware that I sometimes lack a degree of resilience when it comes to finshing off projects.
Well not this time!
When I turned my attention to painting some British Napoleonic infantry this summer, I knew that despite my initial surprise at how much I enjoyed painting the redcoats, I ran the risk of losing impetus, change my focus and ending up still working on them in five years time.
After all, this is what happened when I started my US Napoleonic force a decade ago.
And so I opted to work in batches, specifically in units for the Sharp Practice War of 1812, which meant two blocks of six light infantry and two blocks of ten line infantry.
It was the blocks of ten that slowed me down. I've always struggled with batch painting more than half a dozen models at the same time. I get bored and frustrated with the fact that each colour takes so long.
However, this time I've managed to stick it out to.the end, getting all 32 infantry and their two NCOs finished in one big chunk.
On the subject of officers, the force is led by this rather splendid looking chap, who I picked up in a pack of two from Warlord Games some years ago.
The other mounted officer has already been recruited by the Americans and leads their scouting force.
I quite like the idea that this more ornately outfitted chap is a puffed-up militia officer who has spent time and money designing his own uniform.
And here's my full force, ready for action, complete with a warband of Native American allies to harass the flanks and put the fear of God into the invading Americans.
With two forces for Sharp Practice now painted, I can finally get around to playing a game, which I might do solo first to get my head around the rules.
When I bought him from amongst a pile of loose single models at a show, I thought it was a boy with a bucket, but on closer inspection I discovered a beard that indicated that this is in fact a 20mm figure.
With a little scraping, I gave him a shave and he's back to being what I intended, a drummer boy whose been co-opted into the artillery.
Technically, this means that I've finished the British force first, despite starting the Americans eleven years ago.
Right, that's enough for now. I have some rules to read.
Acquired: 76
Painted: 168
Lead Mountain: 663
No comments:
Post a Comment