Monday 9 August 2021

My Precious!

No prizes for guessing who I've painted today...


Whilst I was searching ebay, the same seller that I bought Tom Bombadil and my 'Barrow Wights' (more on that later), had a dirt cheap second hand Gollum.

My immediate thought was that I wants it, I needs it, I must have it!

And so I did.


The model is in an odd but interesting pose, with officially the largest tactical rock I've seen on anything outside of Knight Models.

It's clearly taken from the scene in The Two Towers where Gollum is sneaking (yes, SNEAKING!) down the cliff face towards the apparently sleeping Frodo and Sam.


Most of the Gollum sculpts have some sort of tactical rock, which is clearly because his limbs are so thin that more regular poses just aren't viable.

The rock has also caused me to alter my usual basing style for Lord of the Rings, but this isn't a bad thing as it allowed me to try something out that I might use for Moria Goblins and the Balrog when I get to them.


In terms of painting, I actually used my zombie recipe for Gollum: basecoat Kislev Flesh; wash Biel-Tan Green; drybrush Ushabti Bone; wash Agrax Earthshade. I did another soft highlight of Kislev Flesh to help him stand out against the rock.

It will be a while before he gets used in the Quest of the Ringbearer campaign, but it's good to finally own this most crucial of characters after so many years.

Acquired: 115
Painted: 127

1 comment: