Sunday 8 May 2022

Did somebody say Horus?

Lots of people online are getting fizzy about the big Horus Heresy event at Warhammer World. The levels of excitement and nostalgia are high.

Unfortunately, nostalgia, especially about the Horus Heresy, has an unfortunate effect on Blood Angels.


I picked up a batch of metal Blood Angels on eBay, including six almost completely painted Death Company Marines with the aim of adding to my existing unit of five.


I had planned to simply rebase the models, tidy up chips and damage and finish off the jump packs.

However, unfortunately the seller is a much better painter than I am, and massively better than I was when I originally painted the Death Company.


Therefore, I had to revisit the three metal Death Company in my unit and try to bring them closer to the standard of the new models.

This involved changing the colour of the chest plates, armour details and pouches to match what the seller had done.


It also meant scratching some transfers off and free-handing red crosses on the right shoulder pads (I also removed the crosses on the knee pads).


I also had to freehand the chapter symbols. I'm not great at freehanding. Simple geometric lines and patterns are okay, but the winged blood drop was a bit of a bugger.


Hopefully all of this has meant that the models now hang together as a cohesive unit.

I'm planning to put together another of the metal models as the final member of the squad, but this is going to involve a bit more work as I'll be building and painting it from scratch.


Despite not doing them from scratch, I'm counting all nine as painted for a few reasons. Firstly, I counted the new models as acquired. Secondly, the older models needed much more work than I originally envisaged. Thirdly, I make these rules up as I go along.

Acquired: 77
Painted: 82

2 comments:

  1. Great work on those Assault Marines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, although the best work was done by someone else.

      Delete