Saturday 9 July 2022

Delayed Arrival

The Galaxy is in flames. Fully half of the Legiones Astartes are in open rebellion. The Warmaster marches on Terra.

And this guy finally decides to show up with some implausible excuse about being held up by Daemons on Signus Prime. A likely story.


Firstly, apologies for the lack of entries in the last month. I've been moving house and so everything has been in boxes.

However, we're all unpacked now and I have a new man-cave...nay, man-cavern, in which to crack on with my newest project: The Horus Heresy.


Yes, the relentless GW marketing machine finally got me. However, I didn't turn traitor to my principles, I remained loyal to the Cheaphammer truth.

Rather than splurging on the massive starter set (even though it's a very good deal in GW terms), I have begun my journey with uding what ive already got and second hand purchases.


This Cataphractii (look at me using the 30k lingo) Terminator Captain was picked up from Troll Trader along with a 30k Chaplain for less than 50% of what GW charge for them new.

He was already base coated in appropriate colours and so he didn't take long to paint, especially as I used the same simple process as I did with my existing Blood Angels.


On the subject of those existing models, a good number of them are appropriate for use in the Horus Heresy (which is essentially 40k with 'historical' accuracy).

My Baal Predator and Rhinos (one of which is actually my Razorback with a new hatch kindly donated by Pete, who has also fallen to Heresy) are apparently 'Mars pattern' and a perfectly suitable alternative to the 'Deimos pattern' Rhino that has been released and use the stats in the main army book (although the storm bolter on one of them is not right but overlookable).


The 'Castra Ferrum' Dreadnought and 'Indomitus' Terminators did not make it into the Legion Asartes/Heretica army books, but have had their stats released in a free pdf (Legacies of the Age of Darkness) on the Warhammer Community site. I think this might be due to a branding issue as the different marks and patterns of vehicles and armour can get confusing for the uninitiated and only units with (or that will have) Horus Heresy branding made it into the army books.

By my reckoning this comes to about 750 points, but is not a 'legal' list. It requires two squads of line troops to fill compulsory slots and allow me to include the Rhinos. However, it does mean that once I've painted the two squads of Mk VI Tactical Marines that are taking a long time to arrive from an ebay purchase, I should have a useable 1000 point army that I can begin to add to.


When it comes to Hobby Bingo, I've painted just one and bought two and with 20 Marines inbound, I'm going to have to pick up my pace. However with the house move I took the opportunity to dispose of some unusable (i.e. crap) models from my bits box.

I've also decided to tick off that I've read a fiction book based on my favourite game. I've been chugging through the Horus Heresy series on Audible. It's not really reading, and it's not my favourite game (I haven't played it yet), but I have now got through about seven of them and I can't see how I can tick this one off without re-reading The Lord of the Rings.

Acquired: 80
Painted: 91

No comments:

Post a Comment