Saturday 16 December 2023

Changing Rooms

Filling my very kind Secret Santa gift, I've decided to spruce up the interiors of my wrecked buildings with a few items of suitable furniture.

Neither Laurence Llewellyn-Bowen nor MDF were involved.


All of the pieces I've done are from Mantic Terrain Crates (I think), and so they understandably pair well with the Mars Attacks ruins that are also from Mantic, adding a bit more depth, tragedy and interest to the tabletop.

I do like Terrain Crate scenery except for two things. It's a bit pricey, and longer-thinner sections tend to warp. However, as all these pieces are fairly sturdy and they were essentially free, I'm in a happy place.


The dresser and the drawers were done with Wyldwood contrast paint over Grey Seer, drybrushed with Ushabti Bone, washed with Agrax Earthshade (after the plates were done) and then drybrushed again to give them a dusty look.


Similarly, the sofa set was done in The Fang, with metal springs picked out in Leadbelcher and stuffing painted with Ushabti Bone. Once again, Agrax Earthshade and a final drybrushing finished them off.


The toilet and sink were simply done with White Scar, made dirty with Agrax Earthshade and drybrushed again to bring up the white.

I'm not sure about the basing choice as they kind of get lost, but it totally matches a lot of my other post-apocalyptic terrain, so it's fine.

The walls were done to match the Mars Attacks terrain as much as possible. The bricks done with Ratskin Flesh, the timber done with Wyldwood, the plaster with Ushabti Bone and the rubble with Baneblade Brown. As ever, Agrax Earthshade and a drybrush finished things off.

I'm really pleased with this little set and it will work for all sorts of post-apocalyptic games, including The Walking Dead and  Fallout (although Matt tells me there's not enough skeletons for that), and also wrecked buildings in more modern games. The wooden furniture and walls will fit with older period such as WW2 and even into the Victorian era.

And yes, I'm still very aware I haven't finished counting up my new/old acquisitions.

Acquired: 212
Painted: 299
Lead Mountain: 532

3 comments:

  1. Excellent work on the terrain, as you say will fit in on so many different battlefields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were really easy to do too. I'm warming to post-apocalyptic terrain. It's quick and fun.

      Delete