Saturday 9 December 2023

Of Runtz & Riderz

My second Ork odyssey comes to a conclusion with the completion of the final vehicle for my Gorkamorka gang along with a very old Ork indeed


The Biker was originally bought to be the leader of my gang until I read the rules properly and found that you needed an extra Spanner for every three bikes, meaning that unless you go big on bikes, an Ork biker is a luxury to be added later in the campaign.


I really liked the model at the time and I still do. It's clear that the Gorkamorka range pointed the direction that design of 40k Orks would move in over the years. Away from the brightly coloured clowns of 2nd edition to the brutal killers bedecked in rivetted armour of the current incarnation.


I'm trying to bridge the gap between these two aesthetics, keeping the bright colours, but rendering as chipped and worn.

I've not chipped the painting on the Evil Sunz logo as I think that would be the bit the Ork owner would take care of to ensure the favour of Mork so that the red paint makes it go faster.


Painting wise there's nothing different here from the last couple of posts. Over reliance on Agrax Earthshade and chipping with a sponge covers a multitude of sins and I'm really happy as a result.


That completes my Gorkamorka gang for now. I've certainly got plenty to be going on with and more than enough for the early stages of a campaign when we get round to it.

I still have another Trukk and the chassis of a Rebel Grot Big Lugga, but without crew for either I'm in no rush to work on them.


In the meantime, here's a really old school 2nd Edition Runtherd. You can see that difference in design through the facial expressions and pirate aesthetic.

This model is by far the oldest 40k Ork I own and turned back up in the recent haul got from a friend. I think I originally bought him to be a coach model for an Orc Bloodbowl team.


If returned to black and yellow from the red I've been using as a spot colour on the Gorkamorka stuff as the main force of my army are Bad Moons.

This chap will be taking control of the Gretchin mob in my 2nd Edition army, freeing up a Nob to rejoin the boss's mob.

Probably the best thing about including a Runtherd in my army is that along with the Mek, he allows me to include the frankly hilarious Shokk Attack Gun in my force, meaning I will now have to track one down.


Despite getting the Biker and Runtherd painted, my numbers have taken another hit this week as I was kindly given a 3d printed artist, which I intend to use in Carnevale as one of the Gifted.



Additionally, my 7TV Secret Santa gift arrived (I didn't realise what it was until it was open) and turned out to be a massive collection of scenic bits and bobs, most of which are from Mantic Terrain Crates, I think.

Pleasingly, lots of this is very generic, working for a range of periods in which someone's house has been wrecked.

And yes, that is the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

This awesome generosity means that the Mountain is getting even higher.

Acquired: 212
Painted: 291
Lead Mountain: 540

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic weathering on the bike Kieron, really adds to the feel of the whole piece, and that Runtherder is a real blast from the past. Some very useful new additions as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Doing Orks has really got me embracing weathering for the first time. So much so that I might end up going back to some previously painted models like my Bolt Action armies or Space Marines.

      Delete