Anyhow, that's now sorted. Transfers are done and it's time for a mid-month update!!!
Next, two more Pegasus Knights to create a unit. I've tried to model the unit as if it has just taken off, which is why the Champion's Pegasus is flying whilst the others still have feet on the ground. They're a bit of a bugger to rank up in combat, but I'm really pleased with how they look in skirmish order. This unit is the army's response to war machines.
Speaking of war machines...what's this? A mortar? In a Bretonnian army?
Well, yes..but no. Actually it's my 'counts as' trebuchet and it's as close to the most perfect example of Cheaphammer as you're likely to encounter:
- Rule 2: The mortar was begged off my dad - I actually gave two to him with a job lot of ECW stuff. He was only using one, so I asked for it back.
- Rule 3: I didn't have a trebuchet, I had a mortar. They both lob projectiles high into the air to smash enemy formations and fortifications - same difference really.
- Rule 5: 90 points for the 'cost' of four unused figures sitting in my bits box (there's a prize of you can tell me where the guy in the hood is from).
- Rule 6: Not only this work as a trebuchet, it also (surprisingly) works as a mortar should I wish to use my Bretonnians as an Empire army. The fact that the base is scaled to Impetus too means that it will serve in the WotR campaign.
- Rule 7: Nothing in this unit is new.
There you go. The only issues this kind of creativity will create is that there are those (LOS Fascists!) who will complain that the model isn't big enough. However, the base is large enough to mean that I'm gaining no particular protection from templates, and I'm happy to allow people to draw line of sight to 10cm above the model, so where's the problem?
Fluff-monkeys might point out that Bretonnia doesn't use gunpowder. However, I'd point out that not only is this army based in Couronne which sits next door to Marienburg and so surely some of the nobles have dabbled, but also in Warhammer Armies from 3rd edition, Bretonnia did use cannons and handguns, so there is a precident! So, nerrr...
I do intend to get some actual trebuchets into the army at some point as I like the look of them, however, the mortar will serve more than adequately for the time being.
Looks like I'm on track to meet my target this month. Just the BSB's banner and transfers to go, and then I've got something BIG planned for the end of the month.