Friday 30 July 2021

Ferry Frightening


I've really got the bit between my teeth with getting things done for my Quest of the Ringbearer campaign, and with the hobbits currently fleeing Black Riders through the Shire, their only hope of avoiding pursuit is the Buckleberry Ferry.


My aim with this project to buy, build and paint miniatures and terrain as I need them for the scenarios, and as such the next scenario requires a small ferry for the hobbits to hopefully make their escape on.


Given that this will be a single use item with limited options for reuse (although it has potential as a jetty or small foot bridge), I didn't want to spend too much time or effort on making an exact movie replica.

Therefore I set about chopping up coffee stirrers and matches to build what is little more than a raft. The barrels were found in my bits box and added some to give a little visual interest. Sadly, my bits box didn't throw up any lanterns or ropes.


There's not much more to say other than I needed to ensure I could fit all four hobbits on the ferry, as Merry will be joining the group in the next scenario.

Given that I couldn't really justify a post on a tiny balsa wood construction, I've also painted this chap.


This is the Witch King that was released on 'made to order' at the start of the year and I ordered in the knowledge that I'd need as much variation as I could get by the time I gathered all of the Ringwaiths at the Ford of Bruinen somecway down the road. This is because there are only three sculpts of mounted Nazgul on general release.


Technically I don't need mounted Nazgul until Bree, but this was a nice easy win to get out of the way, as I had forgotten how easy Ringwraiths are to paint, being mainly back with a gentle drybrush. Given that the horses are black too, I made the decision to make the tack brown (despite it appearing black in the movies) just to give some sort of contrast on the model.

Two more models done just in time to play the scenario tonight, so you can expect to see the write up soon.

Acquired: 105
Painted: 124

4 comments:

  1. Nicely bashed together from your bits. Have fun with the game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. We did but (spoiler alert) the ferry didn't see much use...

      Delete
  2. Nicely done! The raft looks great. Never worry, I am sure you will find other uses for it as your gaming continues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I can see it being used as a small jetty in the 7TV Pulp Lurkers of the Deep campaign.

      Delete