Saturday 3 July 2021

He's got a fabulous secret...

I've definitely got my mojo back for working through my Masters of the Universe backlog, and so I've finished off the much maligned Prince Adam.


Prince Adam, the inept alter ego of He-Man, has become somewhat of a figure of fun with the advent of the social media meme. Dodgy hair, awkward 80's animation and an outfit which somewhat defies convention for an action hero, have combined to make him a bit of an easy target for mockery.


However, in my collection of He-Man figures he was one of my favourites, often defeating the bad guys and getting the girl (Teela) himself, without needing to resort to his somewhat battered alter ego (He-Man belonged to my brother and was therefore not to be trusted).


Curiously, the toy version sported a red, rather than pink, waistcoat. This was probably an extremely important factor in the opinions of a seven year old me.

He also had a pink sword (stop it!), which was our full time Sword of Power as we managed to lose He-Man's sword very early on, who had to get by with just his big chopper (I said stop it, I'm talking about his axe).


The model is another custom sculpt from one of my regular dealers, and, as you can see, I've gone for a red waistcoat, rather than pink. My Masters of the Universe nostalgia is rooted most firmly in my toy collection...also, it makes the overall colour scheme better in my opinion.


He's going to be interesting to try to work into games as transformation is not something any 7TV profiles have. However, the Unexpected Allies trait in 7TV Fantasy has given me an idea for Adam to be ae to transform only from the beginning of Act Two, perhaps allowing He-Man and Battlecat (which reminds me, I probably need a Cringer) to be included in a cast at a discount.

It's something I need to work on whilst I chip away at the backlog.

Acquired: 101
Painted: 100

10 comments:

  1. Looking great! The cartoon colours were always peculiar. I also had him as a figure back then and didn't catch onto any of those vibes that seem so obvious now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine that they thought that using what would be perceived as feminine colours would make him seem different enough from hypermasculine He-Man, given that the rest of the animation was exactly the same.

      I suspect that the toy designers thought pink wouldn't sell to little boys.

      Delete
  2. Ahhh... Prince Adam, even better disguised as Clark Kent! Awesome job, he almost looks cool! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, so you just commission someone to sculpt these for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sort of. More like a group commission for a one off run of casts.

      Delete
    2. Interesting, what kind of groups are these?

      Delete
    3. It's a Facebook group. I assume you came across me on there (as I don't really post anywhere else). Send me a friend request and I'll add you.

      Delete
  4. Prince Adam looks great. Like the colour you did for his tights?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was just a straight mix of Warlock Purple (or whatever its called these days) and white.

      Delete