Saturday 10 July 2021

I found what I was Sea Urchin for...

I said when I posted about Eve that I wanted to have four members of Freedom Force before they hit the streets of Patriot City, because that was how big the team was when you played the game.

Well, mission accomplished...


The newest member of the team is Sea Urchin, the 10 year old sidekick of the nautical hero, Man-O-War.


I wasn't actually planning on doing this character for a long while, but I was looking through a bag of old Heroclix miniatures for a suitable body to base another character on when I stumbled on a Skrull Assassin which was close enough.


Admittedly, she looks a little older than 10 and the costume is not quite right, but it's close enough, especially in terms of the head for me to imagine that this is Sea Urchin a couple of years later than the events in the games. I also need to find a suitable gun to add to her hand.


Heroclix sculpts are always a bit hit and miss, and so I went to the effort of trying to use acetone based nail polish remove to strip some of the paint to sharpen the details, but despite the tedious process, this is still not a great miniature.

I feel I've done a decent job, but I am half tempted to replace her when I can get my hands on one of two Hydra Miniatures models (my local supplier has an issue with stick stuck in customs at the moment).


The first replacement candidate is this Galactic Ace from Solar Studios. Although the hair isn't right, the rest of the outfit is very close to accurate. These are a fairly small range so I'm confident that she'll look more like a young girl than my current model.


The second choice is Princess Alluria from Hydra's Retro Raygun line. I've previously used this model for Glimmer in my She-Ra project, and she would definitely be a more 'mature' version of Sea Urchin...perhaps the equivalent of when teen pop idol Christina Aguilera released Dirty.

One more model painted and I now feel able to set up a proper game. I've been playing with the 7TV Casting Agency software to create game cards, so I just need to put together some villain profile and the cleaning up of Patriot City's streets can begin.

Just one model painted, but four acquired. I made the error of picking up Warhames Illustrated with one of their accursed free sprues.

Acquired: 105
Painted: 108

4 comments:

  1. She definitely has grown up in your version, but with the colours you picked it is easy to see who she is meant to represent.
    A great team, looking forward to read how they are performing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. That's the reason I'm definitely leaning towards the Solar Studios alternative as there aren't that many models that can look remotely like a ten year old.

      Delete
  2. Great idea and despite being slightly older version matches the original design really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. Proxy hunting is never perfect.

      Delete