Saturday 3 July 2021

King Macguffin of Plot Device

Continuing with my run of Masters of the Universe miniatures, my attention has turned to the least observant father in the cosmos (let's face it, he doesn't recognise his own son with a tan), King Randor of Eternia.


This is another custom sculpt I've bought. It's resin, hence the slightly bent staff (I might have another go at that with hot water), and is based on the design of the action figure, rather than the cartoon character.


The cartoon character lacks the armour and replaces the cape with a coat. This less combative look was probably due to King Randor's role usually being limited to giving instructions, being disappointed in his son and getting captured...a lot.


In fact, he gets captured so much that, in 7TV terms, King Randor is probably best represented as a VIP (or a Prisoner in 7TV Fantasy) and being used as a glorified objective.


When it came to painting him, I opted to make the whole breastplate gold to offer more contrast and reduce the hideous red/orange combo, although the colour scheme is still hideous.

I also chose to keep the fur on the boots grey rather than white as I thought adding white would look even more garish.


I can see this model getting some use in more generic games of 7TV Fantasy as an Ambitious Usurper or Tyrannical Monarch, as he's ended up with a bit of a sneer, but this could just be him contemplating his son.

Although he's not my favourite character or paint job, he should at least be versatile and he's also allowed me to break even on my painting tally.

Acquired: 101
Painted: 101

6 comments:

  1. Nice choice of colours and painting. I like his face also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, I didn't choose those colours. Thank you, though.

      Delete
  2. He looks good! Good choices on the colours, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. The colours was a case of making the best of a bad job.

      Delete
  3. Lovely work. You captured him really well especially with the colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. I think I'd have preferred a cartoon version in the coat, the colours would be less garish then.

      Delete